Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Morning and Challenge

If you missed Sunday morning small group, you missed out on some fun.  Matt's slight slip of the tongue made it a tad difficult for him to recover--along with everyone else, but once he did, he gave us a great word on what it truly means to be a Christian and why Jesus came.  (And no, if you weren't there, I am not going to repeat exactly what the 'slip of the tongue' was.  Actually, I don't think I can call it a 'slip'.  The sweet boy just didn't understand the actual meaning of the expression he was using.  Matt, Matt, Matt... what are we going to do with you?)  

It was awesome to see everyone there... members and visitors!  We have such a special group.  And I'm not just saying that.  Directions is blessed with some awesome, awesome couples, which is exactly what Erin, Zach, Matt, and I prayed for a couple years ago when we were gearing up to start the group.  Please know that we're so thankful for each and every one of you even if our own busy schedules and crazy, daily life doesn't allow us to always show it.  We feel your prayers and love you all.

Sappy stuff aside, please hold on to the words Matt gave us on Sunday.  What a challenge to learn to walk in faith but meet people where there are... even if it sends up our Christian red flag and our first reaction is to take offense.  Remember Matt's trampled dollar bill!!!  We are all worth exactly the same in His eyes.  In fact...  let's have a little challenge.  I want to hear your stories of one encounter you had with someone this week, whether it be the Wal-Mart check out lady, stranger in the park, McDonald's drive-thru guy... tell me how you showed a little love that you normally wouldn't have.  C'mon!  You can do it.  Be conscious and deliberate this week about reaching out, then leave a comment and tell us about it.  Guys, too.  Blogging is not a girl thing.  And this is not a "look how awesome I was this week" kind of thing.  It's simply a way for us to share with each other ways to step outside ourselves and our comfort zones and attempt in however small a way to make an impact for Him!  

Challenge on.  Go!

Ang

5 comments:

Directions said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Ok, I'll start. This one isn't something I did, but something someone did for me. The girls and I went to Jimmy John's today for lunch. I get in the car, back out, and this man comes running toward me. I reach to lock my doors. He gets a few feet from my windshield and holds up his drink, then points to the top of my car. Yes, I had left my to-go cup full of Diet Coke on top of the Jeep. He could have left me drive off and watch it fall everywhere for a quick laugh, but instead, he sort of made a fool out of himself to stop me and let me know. And since, I was super thirsty and REALLY wanted that Diet Coke, I was so thankful. Thanks, Person I Don't Know! So, far, you're winning this challenge.

Angela

Annie said...

Here is one that happened to Paul yesterday.

He attempted to call one of his sub-contractors but dialed the wrong number. There was no answer so he hung up and realized it was not the correct number. A few minutes later he got a call back from a lady who was very rude and unhappy. She told him to get the f'n number right, that she doesn't need misdialed calls. She said her boyfriend had died and she just got back from the funeral. Paul apologized and got off the phone. A few minutes later that call was still weighing on his heart so he sent the number a text message. I don't remember exactly what it said but something to the effect of "I'm sorry for your recent loss, I hope you know that the Lord has a plan and your day improves. God bless" A while later he got a message back saying thank you, that was the most considerate thing she's gotten and she was sorry for the way she talked to him.

I always say, we don't know a person's situation. A slow driver, a rude person at the market, an oblivious stranger who bumps into us. We never know what is going on their life and as Christians, we can make a difference.

-Annie

Robyn said...

I've tried to be deliberate with taking the challenge this week and I've come up empty.

To make up for it, I do have a small nifty gifty that I'll give to the next person who comments below mine.

Not life changing, but who doesn't like to win something?

Jill said...

So, I had this long, lovely story all typed out and was about ready to click "publish" when my computer just died! Ugh.

Long story short so I don't have to type the whole thing again...
I missed the "slip of the tongue" Sunday in question so I didn't hear the challenge. However, I did give my "Matt" dollar to one of my coworkers. She loves Diet Dr. Peppper from Sonic, but told me one day at work that she was having to cut those way back due to some financial hardships her family is facing in light of the economic loveliness we have going on these days. I pulled out the dollar bill from Matt and gave it to her and told her to go to Happy Hour that day and get a Diet DP. With her reaction, you'd have thought I gave her $20. It was definitely more than a dollar's worth of a blessing to me to see her reaction. Thanks for that challenge, Matt.